Pear And Chai Upside-Down Cake
Posted on February 07 2016
A slice of this sweet and spicy cake pairs nicely with a cup of hot black tea! Recipe adapted from Sips and Spoonfuls. Serves 10 people. Contains caffeine, unless you substitute with a non-caffeinated chai tea.
1½ - 2 pears
1/4 cup demerara sugar
4 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
4 Stash Chai Spice tea bags (or substitute with your favorite Stash chai)
3/4 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup almond meal
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a round cake pan.
- Peel and core the pears. Cut into 1/4 inch slices and place in the bottom of the pan.
- Place the water and demerara sugar in a small sauce pan and cook on the stove until it begins to slightly caramelize (a nice golden brown). Do not over-caramelize or the mixture will become hard.
- Pour sugar mixture over pears.
- Beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix well between each egg. Reduce the speed to low, cut open 4 tea bags and pour the contents into the mixture.
- Slowly add the remaining ingredients, then pour the batter over the pears.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or stick a toothpick into the cake. When the skewer comes out almost clean, the cake is ready.
- Let sit 10 minutes. Place cake plate over pan and flip upside down to remove cake.