Holiday Chai Cranberry Nut Loaf Cake
Posted on December 20 2019
Serve up slices of this delicious loaf to your friends and family, or savor for breakfast with a cup of tea. The spicy flavors of our Holiday Chai tea perfectly complement the fruity cranberries and nuts. Not only is this recipe tasty, it's gluten-free and vegan as well!
Gluten-free and vegan Recipe and photography by Ella Leché of Pure Ella.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 3/4 cup double strength tea using Stash Holiday Chai loose leaf, or 2 tea bags of Stash Holiday Chai
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix (or light spelt flour)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup raw cane sugar or organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mixed nuts, chopped (this recipe was made using walnuts and pecans) + extra for topping
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (sulphite-free)
- Icing (optional; we recommend Pure Ella's recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper and oil the sides. If using paper pans, just oil the sides well.
- First, brew a cup of double strength Holiday Chai tea. (In the meantime, prepare all the ingredients.)
- In a large bowl, mix the flax meal with the tea and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix to combine well.
- Back in the bowl with the flax and tea mixture, add in sugar, coconut oil and vanilla extract and whisk to combine well and the sugar starts to dissolve a bit.
- Add the dry ingredients into wet and mix until fully combined.
- Pour or scoop into the pan(s).
- Sprinkle extra chopped nuts on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes for 1 large loaf pan. 35-40 minutes for two small loafs. Or until sides brown and a toothpick in centre comes out dry.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before removing from the pan. (for mini paper-pan cakes, just keep in the paper)
- Let cool completely on a cooling rack and store in the refrigerator covered with parchment paper.
This cake is really best the next day as the flavors really saturate the cake and the texture improves and it's easy to cut clean slices. Otherwise it's a bit crumbly when fresh. We really loved it the next day or even on the third day.
Keeps well covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Holiday Chai Black Tea
For our holiday interpretation of a classic Indian drink, we have blended premium black teas with an exotic mélange of spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, clove and cardamom. Natural flavors of gingerbread and rum give this chai a unique twist. The brewed tea has a spicy-sweet gingerbread aroma, with a flavor that is medium-bodied.
LOOSE LEAF | SHOP NOW
TEA BAG | SHOP NOW