Decaf Vanilla Chai Cherry Pie Recipe
Posted on November 22 2021
Who doesn’t love pie for the holidays?! We took a classic cherry pie and spiced it up with our Decaf Vanilla Chai Tea. This ain’t your mama's Duncan Hines Cherry Pie recipe. This is a homemade cherry pie recipe that gives us all the cozy fall and holiday feels.
This recipe isn’t just about using Decaf Vanilla Chai to spice up your life. We also included a crowd-pleasing pie crust recipe that doesn’t require the bells and whistles of fancy kitchen tools.
Cherry Pie Filling
4 cups frozen cherries
- 1 cup granulated sugar & 1 tablespoon extra for sprinkling on top
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 Tablespoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup of Stash Decaf Vanilla Chai Black Tea, brewed with 3 tea bags
Feel free to use whatever pie crust recipe you love, but if you don’t have one, here’s what we used:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces cold butter (high fat content, Kerigold recommended)
- 2/3 cup very cold water
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
If you’re using our pie crust recipe, start by prepping the pie crust dough.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Cut cold butter into small cubes (you might need to place butter back in the fridge to chill it again after cutting). Put cold butter into the dry ingredients using your fingers; start to pinch and separate the cold butter and combine with the dry ingredients.
- Once the butter has formed pebble-sized pieces (about the size of a fingernail) and it is mixed with the dry ingredients, it’s time to slowly add the cold water. Pour the water in and using your hands as a large scoop, gather and incorporate the water to create a shaggy dough ball. You may need to use more cold water.
- Gather the dough into a dough ball and wrap tightly in plastic wrap or parchment paper. Chill for about 45 minutes.
- Split this dough ball into two pieces (for the top and bottom crust). On a well-floured surface, begin to roll out your dough. You’ll want the dough to be at least 2” larger than your tin or baking pan and 3” or more if it’s a deep dish pan.
- Place frozen cherries in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat, covered.
- Allow cherries to cook out a considerable amount of juice before turning down the heat.
- Add in 3/4 cup of brewed Stash Decaf Vanilla Chai tea and allow this to cook a few minutes longer at a lower temperature.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cornstarch together.
- Pour this mixture into the saucepan of hot cherries slowly while mixing continuously to avoid clumping.
- Add the almond extract, if desired, and mix.
- Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring frequently.
- If the filling is too thick, add a little water; too thin, add a little more cornstarch.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
Assemble & Bake
- Lay rolled out bottom crust into the pie tin.
- Pour cooled cherry pie filling into the bottom crust.
- Lay rolled out crust over the top.
- Whisk 1 egg and use a brushing tool to brush the egg wash onto the raw crust for a golden brown color.
- If you covered the entire pie with a top crust, cut air slits in the top crust.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar over the egg-washed crust.
- Bake at 425 °F for about 20 minutes, then turn heat down to 350 °F until the crust is golden brown.