Adapted from Saveur.
- Serves 4
- 4 tsp Chai Spice black tea
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, keep seeds and pod
- 3 cups hot water
- 3 cups whole milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup honey or agave
- 1/2 cup spice-forward bourbon, like Maker’s Mark
- Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger (opt.)
Combine the tea leaves and vanilla bean seeds and pod, and any additional spices with 3 cups hot water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and add milk and honey or agave, whisking to combine. Return to a simmer, remove from heat, and allow to steep 10-15 minutes. Strain, pressing down on solids to extract flavors.
Transfer the chai to a heat-proof pitcher and stir in bourbon.